I'm beginning to think that the majority of dog breeders I come across are imbeciles.
Ok, so maybe I'm just a self-righteous bitch, but is it just me or should breeders know a tiny bit about genetics? It's amazing to me, to get into the basics of color genetics and see breeders with nothing but a blank stare, drool hanging out of their mouth, saying, "Whaaaa?"
Is it so hard to understand that 'A' is dominant and 'a' is recessive? Or to understand that 'A' is agouti (banded hair shaft) and 'a' is self (solid colored)? Is it so difficult to understand that a recessive cannot carry a dominant gene, and in order to throw dominant at least one parent has to be dominant?
Case in point: I bred my blue otter doe (Out of a black otter x broken black) to a broken chocolate buck. Genotype for the blue otter doe is aa(t) BB Cc dd Enen. The genotype for the broken chocolate is aa bb Cc Dd enen.
A=Agouti (banded color shaft)
a=Self (solid color)
B=Black
b=Chocolate
C=Full color
c=Albanism
D=Dense Color
d=Dilute color
E=Full color extension
e=Non-color extension
I have four babies from the two.
2 REW- aa Bb cc Dd Enen? (This is a guestimate, cannot be proven until they are test-bred.
1 Black- aa Bb Cc Dd Enen (Same as above)
1 Booted Black Otter- aa(t) Bb Cc Dd enen (same as above)
The 'B' over-rode in this litter obviously. I probably have chocolate carriers but no chocolates at all. It's really not difficult to figure out basic genotypes. Just remember one parent gave a gene, if one gave dominant the other gave recessive, etc...
I am floored that most breeders cannot figure out these simple color genetics. Nothing like putting two animals hoping for the best! Why not put the odds in your favor? Save time, money, and potentially homeless animals! Wait, is that too logical for most?
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment